Serving Size: 4
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
● 2 medium aubergines, cut into thick slices
● 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
● Sea salt
● Black pepper
● 1 small onion, minced
● 1 lb. ground lamb or pork
● 1 tbsp tomato paste
● 1 tsp garlic, minced
● ⅛ tsp ground allspice
● ½ cup plain yogurt
● ¼ cup pine nuts
● ¼ cup parsley, minced
1. Preheat the oven to a heat of 375ºF gas mark 5.
2. In a small heavy bottom pan on medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast until golden and fragrant. Set
aside. Toss the aubergine slices in a large bowl with 4 tbsp of olive oil and spread them on a baking sheet.
Season with prepared salt and pepper and bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned and soft.
3. In the meantime, in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil until hot. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Add the ground lamb or pork, breaking it up with a fork while it cooks for about 5 minutes, and add in the
tomato paste. Cook for approximately about 2 minutes or until most of the acidity from the paste cooks
5. Mix the minced garlic and allspice into the meat mixture and season to taste. Cook for a further minute to
6. Arrange the cooked aubergine slices on each plate and top it with the ground lamb or beef mixture. Drizzle
with yogurt and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and parsley.
Nutritional Value: Calories 625; Fat 60g; Carbohydrates 20g; Protein 24g