+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: CBSE Based External Exam vs School Based Home Exam

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007

CBSE Based External Exam vs School Based Home Exam

Hi All CBSE Class 10 Aspirants !

Your school is asking you to opt External Board Exam or School Exam. Many of you are confused. Even Parents have no clue to give your right answer. Many schools are forcing you to opt school exam but you or your parents want to opt board exams.

some of you don't have faith in school teachers and school authorities. You are not favorite of your teacher. He/She may give you less marks. You think school may bias while giving marks.

and much more you have to say.....................................

Dear Friends !

CBSE want to put a full stop to the unhealthy, unwanted and foolish race for getting more and more marks.

CBSE is conducting SA-2 (only for 40% marks) as Board exam.

Other 60% marks will be in form of SA-1, FA-1, FA-2, FA-3 and FA-4. These tests will be planned and evaluated by school teachers as per CBSE guidelines.

If you opt Board exam, you will be assessed for 40% marks externally and other 60% will be given by your school.

Only SA-2 syllabus will be covered by CBSE in Board exam. It is same as school based exam.

CBSE BOARD EXAM IS ONLY FOR THOSE STUDENTS WHO ARE WILLING TO LEAVE CBSE SYSTEM AFTER CLASS 10 AND WILL NOT GET ADMISSION IN ANY CBSE SCHOOL AROUND THE WORLD.

The situation may be different by March-April 2011. CBSE may allow these students to continue their studies in CBSE system. There seems to have some loopholes in this policy. The grade card is same for both students and it do not shows that you have given external exam.

You are advised to consult your school authorities before opting CBSE Board exam.

Dear Parents !

There is no harm in choosing school based home exam. it has same value as of cbse board exam. If you want to know your child's caliber, you can request the school to send your child's name for CBSE Aptitude Test.

If you have doubt regarding this matter, Do post a reply......

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008

"Should I take the Board Conducted Exam or Not"

Note: The following are observations in my individual capacity, and looks at the issue from the "output" (end result) point of view. Comments welcome.

Table of Contents

* 1 About the New Scheme
    * 2 Report Card
    * 3 Admissions
    * 4 Other Tests
    * 5 Relevant Circulars from Board

1 About the New Scheme

1. Which is better? Opting for board exams or school exams?

It is the choice of the child, the parent, and the family.

2. Can you explain briefly what exactly is the new scheme?

60% of the scholastic performance is evaluated by school. For the final session ending exam SA2 (which covers only a part of the Xth syllabus), there is a choice for a student to write either the school evaluated SA2 exam or the Board evaluated SA2 exam. (This is simply one part of the entire CCE scheme).

2 Report Card

1. In the old pattern, there was a Std. X marksheet issued by Board. What is the new pattern?

The pattern for report card is available at the CBSE web site and reproduced here.

file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/ReportCard.pdf

Note that the report card devotes considerable space to non-scholastic achievements

2. I noticed that the report card does not anywhere specify that the student has taken the board conducted exam.

At this time, we can only assume that you are right. The Board has clarified

At the end of Class X, all candidates (irrespective of whether appearing for School Conducted SA2 or Board Conducted SA2) shall be issued same "Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation Certificate of School Based Assessment" prepared, printed and signed by the Board.

Notice the use of the word "same".

3. If there is no difference in the report card, then how will anyone know that the student has written the board conducted exam?

Note that, with the introduction of CCE, 60% of the total of 100 is already evaluated by the school. In other words, the Board has already entrusted the majority of the task of evaluation to the school. It would not make too much sense if the Board decides to delink itself from CCE reforms, and claim a special status for one of two question papers it has set. The reform process cannot be hijacked by the body proposing the reforms. Note that the SA2 question paper, whether school evaluated or board evaluated, comes from the Board, and so does the marking guidelines.

4. If no one is going to know the difference, why should I write the board conducted exam?

It's a choice given to you.

5. What roll number will be listed on the report card?

The Board will allot the roll number to all students regardless of what option they may choose (school-conducted SA2 or otherwise).

6. After the school based exams, will the school send marks to the board, or will the school send grades to the board?

Since the final grade and report card is being administered by the Board, it makes sense for the school to upload the marks. Consider a student who has got A2 in Maths till March, and in the board written SA2 secures 96%. The final grade is a weighted combination of 60% of A2 and 40% of 96%. It would make sense for the marks to be available to the board at this time to get the final grade.

7. Will the FA1 and FA2 and SA1 be "counted" for people who opt for the board?

Yes. CCE is for all children whether they opted for board conducted examination or not. So FA3 and FA4 is also counted.

8. One final question. What was displayed on the report card issued by Board last year (in report card issued in March 2010)?

Only grades were printed on the report card, marks were not printed.

3 Admissions

1. I am from a Kendriya Vidyalaya school and my school has XIth. If I take the board conducted exam can I be ASSURED of joining a KV school?

Since KV is giving the choice to the student, it is incumbent on KV to admit a student regardless of which choice (School SA2 versus Board SA2) the student has exercised. The stated policy of KV schools is to enable automatic admissions to all children previously in the KV system.

2. Will the Board issue marks?

One of the central ideas of CCE is to move away from marks to grades.

3. If marks are not issued, how will cut offs be administered?

KV Schools were instructed last year (admissions for 2011 at eleventh level) to admit all KV children as per normal, automatic readmission guidelines. Grades were used as a filter for those opting for, say, the Science stream.

4. What if I wanted to transfer to another private CBSE school? Will it make a difference if I write the school evaluated SA2?

The admission policy of a particular private CBSE school, or for that matter any IGCSE or IB or ISC school is tailored to that school. It's a private school after all. They may seek a variety of information about the applicant regardless of what appears on the report card.

5. Why does the CBSE circular talk about "leaving the board"?

It seems clear that the CBSE is encouraging schools to administer the Xth exam to destress the board exam tension. This, indirectly, answers the question.

The KV school system has embraced this concept. It is important to delink the admission guidelines of KV, and other private schools. The KV system of about 1000 schools is large, and diverse and its admission guidelines are binding on KV affiliated schools.

However, CBSE cannot, it'd seem, impose admission guidelines on private schools. Nor cannot it, one can imagine, immediately force private schools to conduct SA2 since the Board has been conducting board exams in the past. While some private schools might force ALL students to write the board conducted exam, others might force ALL students to write school conducted exams.

The gesture of the KV Sangathan (to destress Xth board exam tension) should not be confused with a choice available elsewhere.

6. What if I wanted to transfer to another government endorsed school, say affiliated to the State Board. Were there children who got admission to Maharashtra Board (for example) last year using the online system? How did they decide the equivalency?

The working of the Maharashtra Board and the affiliated colleges is known to them. However, marks were not officially given to the children or their parents/guardians. However, marks "appeared" automatically when the online forms were filled. Presumably CBSE board shared the marks with an official agency such as Maharashtra board.

7. What were the cutoffs for admissions to Std. XI in KVIIT last year?

The original guidelines were on 16.06.2010: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/OriginalAdmissionGuidelines.pdf

The revised guidelines appear here: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/RevisedAdmissionGuidelines.pdf

4 Other Tests

1. Will schools use the Students Global Aptitude Index (SGAI) to admit students to XI?

Since the exam is optional, it would not be imposed on govt schools such as KV. Private schools may do their own thing. Note that the idea of asking children to write three exams (the SA2 exam, the optional aptitude exam, and the proposed optional National Proficiency exam) is likely to impose burden on children.

The aptitude tests are optional, and the CBSE board will conduct its first ever aptitude test on January 15, 2011.

2. What is the National Proficiency Test? When will it conducted?

The details are awaited, and it is a pen and paper test. Some details are available in the list of circulars.

5 Relevant Circulars from Board

Aptitude Test: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/Aptitude62.pdf

National Proficiency Test: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/NationalProficiencyTest56.pdf

Key Circular on Exams: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/ExamsCircular44.pdf

First Summative: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/FirstSummative42.pdf

Faqs on CCE: file: http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~sharat/misc/kviitb/newCCE/faqs_on_CCE.pdf

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008

A recent circular from the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on the 2011 Class X examination has left the parents confused. The point of contention is whether Class X students studying in senior secondary schools (schools that have junior colleges) opt for examination conducted by the school or by the board at the end of the second term.

The circular wanted parents to send in their consent in respect of their wards, whether they will be writing the examination conducted by the school or the board in March 2011 at the end of Class X. “Parents who have decided to send their ward to senior secondary (Class XI and XII ) from school affiliated to a board other than CBSE or those who are not sure to send their ward to CBSE (Class XI and XII ) may send their consent for CBSE-conducted Class X final examination,” it says.

A teacher at a CBSE school in the city said the circular meant that if a student studying in senior secondary school wanted to continue for Class XI in the same school, he/she could opt for school-based examination only. “However, such students will close their option to opt for any other junior college.”

If a student opts for the board-conducted exam, he/she cannot only go for admission in the junior college of the same school but also for any other junior college. A parent who did not wish to be named said it was better to opt for the board-conducted examination if a student had to keep all options open. “But in that case, what is the need for a school-based examination?”

Another parent said, “The examinations conducted by the board and school will have the same syllabus and same criteria. However, for the board-conducted examination, external examiners will assess the papers. In that case, if a student wants to score more, it is better to opt for the school-based examination.”

Confirming the receipt of such a circular, Army Public School principal Binita Punekar said, “We will conduct a parents’ meeting to clarify the doubts. I will call up the CBSE officials before the meeting so that all issues could be answered.”

A teacher in another city CBSE school said students could take both school- and board-conducted examinations. But in that case, it is not clear as to which score will be considered for admission to Class XI. Students of schools that have classes up to Class X only will have no option but to take the board exam. “It is unfair that some CBSE students will have two options.” a parent said.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010

cbse board/home

if i choose cbse home exam. Will i have to study in 11th & 12th from that school only

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008

Quote Originally Posted by riya.18196 View Post
    if i choose cbse home exam. Will i have to study in 11th & 12th from that school only

No, it is not compulsory. You can study in any CBSE affiliated school. Board exam is required only if you want to leave CBSE system and willing to join any state board or ICSE school.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010

Course

Will cbse 10th course be changed next year (for 2011-2012)

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011

Regarding Admission

I am from Mumbai

My Son pass 10th class CBSE exam with 8cgpa
    He is given school Exam not Board Exam

can My Son Get Admission in Local College in Mumbai Like Mithibbai, Patkar or I given School Exam so that I have to continue 11th and 12 in same CBSE school

please guide me I am really very confuse

Thanks
    Amrish J Kawa

8. Join Date
    Sep 2011

hello guys, nice to meet you. I am from USA and I like making friends

Tera Money http://www.tera2buy.com/
    Tera Online Gold http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.Gold
    Tera Items http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.items
    [url=http://www.tera2buy.com/]Tera Gold[/url]
    [url=http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.items]Tera Items[/url]
    [url=http://www.myterastock.com/]Tera Online Gold[/url]

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011

will full book come in board exam or the same sa2 portion????

Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    A recent circular from the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on the 2011 Class X examination has left the parents confused. The point of contention is whether Class X students studying in senior secondary schools (schools that have junior colleges) opt for examination conducted by the school or by the board at the end of the second term.

The circular wanted parents to send in their consent in respect of their wards, whether they will be writing the examination conducted by the school or the board in March 2011 at the end of Class X. “Parents who have decided to send their ward to senior secondary (Class XI and XII ) from school affiliated to a board other than CBSE or those who are not sure to send their ward to CBSE (Class XI and XII ) may send their consent for CBSE-conducted Class X final examination,” it says.

A teacher at a CBSE school in the city said the circular meant that if a student studying in senior secondary school wanted to continue for Class XI in the same school, he/she could opt for school-based examination only. “However, such students will close their option to opt for any other junior college.”

If a student opts for the board-conducted exam, he/she cannot only go for admission in the junior college of the same school but also for any other junior college. A parent who did not wish to be named said it was better to opt for the board-conducted examination if a student had to keep all options open. “But in that case, what is the need for a school-based examination?”

Another parent said, “The examinations conducted by the board and school will have the same syllabus and same criteria. However, for the board-conducted examination, external examiners will assess the papers. In that case, if a student wants to score more, it is better to opt for the school-based examination.”

Confirming the receipt of such a circular, Army Public School principal Binita Punekar said, “We will conduct a parents’ meeting to clarify the doubts. I will call up the CBSE officials before the meeting so that all issues could be answered.”

A teacher in another city CBSE school said students could take both school- and board-conducted examinations. But in that case, it is not clear as to which score will be considered for admission to Class XI. Students of schools that have classes up to Class X only will have no option but to take the board exam. “It is unfair that some CBSE students will have two options.” a parent said.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2011

Board based exam

Quote Originally Posted by abdullaharif View Post
    I feel that Board based exam will always have some value compared to school based exam. There can be partiality in correction in school based exam. I don't feel it is good.

+ Reply to Thread