Serves: 4 – 5
1 ½ large russet potatoes or sweet potatoes, shredded (peel if desired)
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped into small cubes
½ bunch greens (choose from kale, chard, collards, spinach, etc.), discard hard stems and ribs, chopped
into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
½ red or orange bell pepper, chopped into small cubes
4-5 white or crimini mushrooms, sliced
Juice of ½ a lime
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ a 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
½ can (from a 15 ounce) can pinto beans
½ can (from a 15 ounce) can black beans
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Water as required
Pumpkin seeds, toasted for garnishing (optional)
1. Pour 1 inch of water into a pot and place it over medium-high heat. Place a steamer basket in the pot. Spread potatoes in the basket and steam for 5 – 10 minutes or until soft.
2. Distribute the steamed potatoes into 2 bowls.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast in one of the bowls and stir until well combined. Keep it aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
5. Place a skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.
6. Add onions, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until tender. Add water if the vegetables get stuck to the skillet’s bottom.
7. Stir in the chosen greens. Cook until they turn limp.
8. Add lime juice, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and basil. Mix well. Add ½ tablespoon nutritional yeast and the bowl of only steamed potatoes (without nutritional yeast). Mix well.
9. Turn off the heat and add tomatoes, cilantro, black beans, and pinto beans. Mix well. Transfer the mixture into a baking dish of about 6 – 7 inches. Spread it evenly.
10. Spread with potato mixture (the bowl that contained nutritional yeast) to cover as much area as possible. You may not be able to spread it well because the potatoes will be sticky due to nutritional yeast.
11. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is light to golden brown or browned as per your preference
12. Cool for 5-7 minutes and serve with toasted pumpkin seeds.
13. Slice and serve.